Filled up the filesystem. How?

Dotan Cohen dotancohen at gmail.com
Wed Jun 8 05:57:33 UTC 2005

On 6/8/05, john bray <jmblin at comcast.net> wrote:
> On Wed, 2005-06-08 at 01:06 +0300, Dotan Cohen wrote:

> > > This can easily be happen if log files fill very quickly. I.e. if you
> > > have Apache running, a fault in your page and quite some hits, the
> > > error_log can grow rapidly. So watch out for large log files.
> > >
> > > Alexander
> > >

> > > --
> > > Alexander Dalloz | Enger, Germany | GPG http://pgp.mit.edu 0xB366A773
> > > legal statement: http://www.uni-x.org/legal.html
> > > Fedora Core 2 GNU/Linux on Athlon with kernel 2.6.11-1.27_FC2smp
> > > Serendipity 23:54:54 up 14 days, 22:32, load average: 0.38, 0.53, 0.49
> > >

> > > BodyID:69189987.2.n.logpart (stored separately)
> > >

> > /var/logs is 23 megs (same as last week)
> > /var is 1.3 gigs (same as last week)
> > /usr is 3.7 gigs (same as last week)
> > /proc is 480 megs (same as last week)
> >
> > I only checked those because those were the biggies last week. The
> > system is so slow now that it takes a long time for it to caculate
> > those values. Where else should I look?
> >
> > Dotan
> >

> hey dotan -  have you checked the size and how many files are in /tmp?
> i've seen systems do that when some dolt program creates and doesn't
> clean up tons of files in /tmp
>
> john

Yes, when I checked the directory tree I check /tmp. It is empty. As
about the only thing that I can do on this machine is browse the web,
I have been looking for a command that will show me all large
files/directories. I thought that df would do it, but man doesn't seem
to know of any option that would do this. Nor does google!

How does one go about searching for bloat? All the obvious (logs, tmp,
yum clean all) leave no hints. Last thing that I want to do is to tell
Ety to log onto the windows machine because linux is broken!!!

I thought of waiting for FC4 and just rm'ing the whole drive (I
managed to back up /home/whats_important_to_me onto a 256 XD card with
a usb card reader), but we need the machine daily.

Please, any other ideas about what to check, and what I can erase are
seriously needed right about now. If someone I trust (the names
Dalloz, Lynch and a few others come to mind) want to ssh in, I'll see
if I can set up the daemon. Thanks all, I always appreciate your help.
And your willingness to teach patiently.

Dotan
http://lyricslist.com/lyrics/pages/artist_albums.php/238/%20Guns%20N%27%20Roses
Guns N' Roses Lyrics