NIS or Samba Question

Jay Scherrer jay at scherrer.com
Wed Jun 8 18:56:04 UTC 2005

I have set up a samba server using Fedora Core 3.
This will serve mainly windows machines. I am successful in serving
files to the win 98's and win 95's at user level, however I am not able
to connect or set up a domain or log-on with the winNT 2000's. The win
2000's see the work groups but don't recognize the domain controller,
and reports a DNS error.

Do I have to set up DNS also? I have most of the Lan listed in
the /etc/hosts file.

What parameters should be set on these win2000's and were can I find
more detailed info regarding the window configuration?

One other thing; I did leave the section: domain master = no
because I figured the win2000's are serving shares to other windows
boxes.

/etc/samba/smb.conf
##########################
# Domain Master specifies Samba to be the Domain Master Browser. This
# allows Samba to collate browse lists between subnets. Don't use this
# if you already have a Windows NT domain controller doing this job
        domain master = no

# Preferred Master causes Samba to force a local browser election on
startup
# and gives it a slightly higher chance of winning the election
        preferred master = yes

# Enable this if you want Samba to be a domain logon server for
# Windows95 workstations.
        domain logons = yes