FC4 Repositories

Michael A. Peters mpeters at mac.com
Thu Jun 9 06:30:16 UTC 2005

On Thu, 2005-06-09 at 00:14 -0400, Temlakos wrote:

> And I'm asking for that pledge after Synaptic broke and stayed broken
> and is still broken--and I'm not likely to fix it this side of the FC4
> release. And frankly, I don't need to read any more explanations of why
> any particular package is broken, and why I had to remove a package and
> then re-install it just to make that throbbing screamer ("explanation
> point") go away.

There's a package manager called smart - last time I used it it was
pretty rough around the edges, but it solves a LOT of the issues. You
can set priority to a repo - IE top priority to Fedora Updates,
secondary to Extras/Core/Livna, and then the others.

In this way a package from the others will not break a package in
core/extras/livna - even if it has a newer version, the smart package
manager will give preference to the repositories of higher order.

In this way - you could still benefit from the packages that dag etc.
package that are NOT in core/extras/livna - and there are quite a few.

I believe dag makes a build of smart available, I don't know if it will
be in fc4 extras (haven't looked) but I do remember seeing that a
packager was interested in doing it.