Filled up the filesystem. How?

Paul Howarth paul at city-fan.org
Thu Jun 9 09:30:25 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-06-08 at 21:49 +0300, Dotan Cohen wrote:
> On 6/8/05, Paul Howarth <paul at city-fan.org> wrote:
> > On Wed, 2005-06-08 at 07:57 +0200, Dotan Cohen wrote:
> > > Yes, when I checked the directory tree I check /tmp. It is empty. As
> > > about the only thing that I can do on this machine is browse the web,
> > > I have been looking for a command that will show me all large
> > > files/directories. I thought that df would do it, but man doesn't seem
> > > to know of any option that would do this. Nor does google!
> > >
> > > How does one go about searching for bloat? All the obvious (logs, tmp,
> > > yum clean all) leave no hints.
> >
> > If you're looking for bloat I guess you mean large packages that are
> > worth removing. Try this (all one line):
> >
> > $ rpm -qa --qf '%{SIZE} %{NAME}-%{VERSION}-%{RELEASE}\n' | sort -rn >
> > bloat.txt
> >
> > The resulting file bloat.txt will be a list of all of your RPM packages,
> > sorted by the amount of disk space they use, biggest at the top. Look
> > down that list for packages you don't use and "rpm -e" them. If you're
> > not sure what a package is, try "rpm -qi packagename" to find out. If
> > another package has a dependency on the one you're trying to remove, rpm
> > will tell you about it.
> >
> > Paul.
> > --
> > Paul Howarth <paul at city-fan.org>
> >

> I just did Paul's:
>
> > $ rpm -qa --qf '%{SIZE} %{NAME}-%{VERSION}-%{RELEASE}\n' | sort -rn >
> > bloat.txt
>
> and it wasn't hard to figure out how to add up all the disk space. The
> biggest packages are:
> 449899240 openoffice.org-i18n-1.1.4-0.2.kde
> 155003743 openoffice.org-1.1.4-0.4.3.kde
> 122472528 openoffice.org-libs-1.1.4-0.4.3.kde
> 98835391 AdobeReader_enu-7.0.0-1
> 79886968 Omni-0.9.2-1.1
> 59179686 j2re-1.4.2-11.1.fc3.rf
> 56605520 emacs-common-21.3-21.FC3
> 54976367 wine-20041201-1fc3winehq
> 50344454 glibc-common-2.3.5-0.fc3.1
>
> but the total came out to almost 4 gigs! Thats for 941 packages! What
> can I remove? Obviously I don't want to remove OpenOffice or Adobe
> Reader. I suppose that I could do without j2re, and I don't exactly
> remember what Omni is.
>
> I put the list up at http://dotancohen.com/bloat.txt if anyone cares
> to take a look and advise me. Things like glibc-common have no meaning
> to me whatsoever, but googleing around led me to believe that lots of
> things will break if I remove it.
>
> I would wait and install FC4, but we need this computer daily. Thanks friends.

If you don't use emacs, try removing it:

# yum remove emacs-common

If you don't use wine, try removing it:

# yum remove wine

0mni is used by the print system (remember you can use "rpm -qi 0mni" to
find out what 0mni does).

glibc-common is most of the core C library and is used by virtually
every binary on the system.

I suspect you have a lot of files in places other than /usr though.
Perhaps /var?

What's the output of:

# du -ks /var/*

Paul.