plain-vanilla ethernet; do brands matter?

Bob Chiodini rchiodin at bellsouth.net
Thu Jun 9 11:37:22 UTC 2005

On Thu, 2005-06-09 at 04:33 +0100, THUFIR HAWAT wrote:
> On 6/9/05, Michael A. Peters <mpeters at mac.com> wrote:
> > Chances are slim that any pci nic won't work.
>

> I'm looking at:
> <http://www.eglobalonline.com/ProductDetail.asp?id=342>
>
> which seems to match up with:
> <http://www.dlink.com/products/support.asp?pid=122&sec=0#drivers>
>
> if so, then there's a linux driver; before purchasing I'll try and
> confirm that I'm looking at same NIC.  this NIC'd be sufficient for
> VOIP?  it's advertised for $9.98 canadian and I found a friend to help
> with the install.  I haven't looked into the chipset yet.
>

> thanks again,
>
> Thufir

This card seems to use the realtek 8139 chipset, as taharka points out
in another email these should be avoided.  My experience has been iffy,
with regard to performance and autonegotiation did not work correctly
with a d-link switch/router.

I agree with taharka concerning the 3-Com cards and add that Intel
10/100 and 1000 cards seem well supported and perform well.

One other thing to keep in mind is that vendors seem to be preserving
model numbers while changing the specifics of the devices.  We have seen
several USB NICs with the same part/model numbers, but completely
different chipsets.  Early models were supported later models were not.
The moral of the story is open the box and see what's in it.

Bob...