plain-vanilla ethernet; do brands matter?

Kam Leo kam.leo at gmail.com
Thu Jun 9 18:48:31 UTC 2005

On 6/9/05, Bob Chiodini <rchiodin at bellsouth.net> wrote:
> On Thu, 2005-06-09 at 04:33 +0100, THUFIR HAWAT wrote:
> > On 6/9/05, Michael A. Peters <mpeters at mac.com> wrote:
> > > Chances are slim that any pci nic won't work.
> >

> > I'm looking at:
> > <http://www.eglobalonline.com/ProductDetail.asp?id=342>
> >
> > which seems to match up with:
> > <http://www.dlink.com/products/support.asp?pid=122&sec=0#drivers>
> >
> > if so, then there's a linux driver; before purchasing I'll try and
> > confirm that I'm looking at same NIC.  this NIC'd be sufficient for
> > VOIP?  it's advertised for $9.98 canadian and I found a friend to help
> > with the install.  I haven't looked into the chipset yet.
> >

> > thanks again,
> >
> > Thufir
> >

> This card seems to use the realtek 8139 chipset, as taharka points out
> in another email these should be avoided.  My experience has been iffy,
> with regard to performance and autonegotiation did not work correctly
> with a d-link switch/router.
>
> I agree with taharka concerning the 3-Com cards and add that Intel
> 10/100 and 1000 cards seem well supported and perform well.
>
> One other thing to keep in mind is that vendors seem to be preserving
> model numbers while changing the specifics of the devices.  We have seen
> several USB NICs with the same part/model numbers, but completely
> different chipsets.  Early models were supported later models were not.
> The moral of the story is open the box and see what's in it.
>
> Bob...

I'm using a D-Link 10/100 5 port switch and have no problem with the
switch working with cards using either the Realtek 8029 or 8139
chipset.  My most recently purchased NICs (AirLink brand, on sale at
Fry's Electroncs for $2.00 each) are made in China and use the
RTL8139D chip.

By the way, if you are running an older version of Linux (e.g. RedHat
6) you can get a driver from RealTek's site:
http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/downloads1-1.aspx?lineid=1 .  They
also provdie driversfor Windows, DOS, Novell, and various Unixes (e.g.
FreeBSD, Solaris, Unixware).