firewall, spam and virus control in one box

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Thu Jun 9 19:54:43 UTC 2005

On Thu, 2005-06-09 at 01:54, Bjørn-Sverre Nøttum wrote:

> I am working at a school, running fc3/fc2 servers. We are offering e-mail to
> our students - squirrelmail. We would now like to reduce costs when it comes
> to firewalls, spam and virus control.

Are you aware of the k12ltsp project?  It is a fedora-based server set
up to network-boot thin clients.  Even without the thin clients, some
of their work might be useful.

> Is it possible to put all these applications in a fedora box, and make this
> a sort of a "securebox" that is filtering all in- and outgoing traffic?

Yes it is possible, although it might be more secure to do generic
firewalling one one box and provide services on another.

> I have looked at spamassasin and clamav, but I am not sure if these are the
> best choises. And I have not found anything on how to make them work
> together.

If you are using sendmail, MimeDefang (http://www.mimedefang.org/)
provides an efficient milter interface and lets you combine the
spamassassin, clamav, and any other scanning and filtering operations
you want, controlled by a small snippet of perl.

> When it comes to fierwalling - is it possible to use the one that
> is pre-built into the fedora release?

Yes - if you have 2 nics and install the k12ltsp distribution it
will come up with a firewall on the outside and act as a NAT
gateway.

--
  Les Mikesell
   lesmikesell at gmail.com