Booting off of a thumb drive?

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Fri Jun 10 00:02:56 UTC 2005

RoboticGolem wrote:
> Everyone I've seen has a bios setting along the lines of usb-hd0  ...
>  I dont actually know how to make the image that goes on the usb drive
> tho.

Uh, the easiest I know of is to create a bootable CDROM image on the
thumb drive.  Under FC3:

	1. Insert the thumb drive.  Unmount it if it automounts.
	2. Use fdisk to delete any partitions on the drive
	3. mkbootdisk --iso --device /dev/sda `uname -r`

In step 3, replace "/dev/sda" with whatever the device name your system
uses for the thumb drive.
-  What's small, yellow and very, VERY dangerous?  The root canary!  -