drive configuration change yields fsck failure due to stale /etc/blkid.tab file

Skunk Worx skunkworx at verizon.net
Fri Jun 10 06:34:42 UTC 2005

Today my fully yum updated FC3 machine was reconfigured with more drives
and a new scsi card.

Using the original drive in a new location, it would hang attempting to
fsck a non-existant / device.

The file "/etc/blkid.tab" appeared to have the old device information
embedded in it. After removing this file, all was well.

Google has a few msgs that imply this "fsck caching bug" was fixed over
a year ago, and that the second reboot should magically fix it.

Not in my case...I rebooted several times while checking grub,
/etc/fstab and the device labels but the /etc/blkid.tag file did not get
rebuilt until I rm'd the current (bogus) one.

This is just an FYI; the machine is now back to normal.

---
SW