FC4 feature list?

Tony Nelson tonynelson at georgeanelson.com
Sat Jun 11 21:28:19 UTC 2005

At 9:01 AM -0700 6/11/05, Karsten Wade wrote:

>On Sat, 2005-06-11 at 00:50 +0530, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
>
>> Release notes will be available in an hour or so here:
>> http://fedora.redhat.com/docs/release-notes/
>
>It took a little longer than an hour, but the release notes are
>available now.
>
>This is the one that we are releasing in an updated errata, which is the
>one being translated:
>
>http://fedora.redhat.com/docs/release-notes/fc4/errata/

Release notes are good.

As Colin Adams says, the page looks odd unless I select UTF-8.

What is the difference between the release notes and the errata?  The pages
look about the same to me.err

Some things in the release notes are unclear.  If they should be reported
somewhere else, someone here will let me know.  In any event, I'll learn
something from the discussion (or flaming).

1.1  Gnome is now 2.10.  I read that wrong for a while, as 2.1.0, and was
confused.  If this is happening much, it might be worth spelling it out as
well, "two point ten".

5.2  When mediacheck says a disk is faulty, but says it is OK when one
boots the installer with ide=nodma, should the installation be done with
ide=nodma or without?

How does one use sha1sum?  From the installation process, or by booting an
existing linux installation and running it there?  (I.e., from where the
CDs were burned.)

5.3  Re. third party package conflicts during upgrades, does the installer
detect the problem and warn about it?  If not, what is a good way to find
them before installing, other than remembering every package installed and
just knowing which ones have conflicts?

Re. Ximian Gnome (which I don't use), when the notes say "immediately" do
they mean during the installations (when?) or during the first boot (from
runlevel 3?)?

6.1.2  Does one need to edit the kernel command line to include audit=1 in
order for auditd to be "enabled by default"?  Or is it already enabled, and
"auditing within the kernel" is something else that can also be enabled?

6.1.4  Is alocate used by Actions -> Search for Files?  (Apparantly yes.)
It seems odd that it isn't enabled by default.  I expect that there will be
much confusion (as well as some disk savings) from this.  Hopefully Search
for Files will automatically inform users of the problem.  I think the FC4
release notes should mention the dependency.

6.2.2.3  Step 1:  does up2date --get-source kernel work on FC4?  It doesn't
work for me on FC3, with a 404 Not Found error for some header.info page.

Step 3:  the command "cd/usr/src/redhat/BUILD/ikernel-<version> /usr/src/"
seems odd to me, having two directories on it.