What IS reasonable disk drive temperature?

Tony Nelson tonynelson at georgeanelson.com
Sun Jun 12 04:19:59 UTC 2005

At 12:42 AM -0300 6/12/05, Ben Steeves wrote:
>On 6/11/05, Neal Rhodes <neal at mnopltd.com> wrote:
>> Ksensors reports temperature of a dual IDE drive mirrored system as about
>> 114F on most days.    That seems to be within the manufacturers specs.
>> Is that reasonable for long term health of drive?
>
>It depends on whether that's the drive temperature or the ambient
>temperature in the case.  I'd say it's pretty reasonable for the
>ambient temperature (assuming it's a warm late spring where you live
>iike it is here), but rather high for the drive itself.  The drives
>should be running around the mid-80's.  You might try spacing the
>drives out or positioning them nearer an exhaust fan if you can.

Hard drives are refrigerators, and run cooler than ambient?  Sure about that?

114F is only warm.  If that's the drive temp, fine.  As a case temp, it
might be cooler, but it sort of depends on where in the case it's measured.
As there are two drives and one temp, I think it's the case temp.  You
could run the system to temp and then open it up and touch the drives.  If
they burn you they're hotter than 114F.