Hard Drive Temp of 114

James T. Carver jtcarver at skinartz.com
Sun Jun 12 17:24:31 UTC 2005

On Sunday 12 June 2005 08:00 am, fedora-list-request at redhat.com wrote:
> Message: 1
> Date: Sun, 12 Jun 2005 11:46:31 -0400
> From: Tony Nelson <tonynelson at georgeanelson.com>
> Subject: Re: What IS reasonable disk drive temperature?
> To: <fedora-list at redhat.com>
>
> At 9:31 AM -0400 6/12/05, Robert Spangler wrote:
> >
> >On Saturday 11 June 2005 21:45, Neal Rhodes wrote:
> >>  Ksensors reports temperature of a dual IDE drive mirrored system as
> >> about 114F on most days.    That seems to be within the manufacturers
> >> specs. Is that reasonable for long term health of drive?
> >
> >While reading this thread I became interested in my systems reading.  So I
> >installed Ksensors but to my surprise it didn't show me the temps of CPU
> > and Drives.  How can I see these things too?  Thnx
> >
> >My setup:
> >
> >Asus A8V Deluxe (v. 2.0) K8T800 No-WiFi/A
> >AMD Athlon 64 3500+ 512K 90nm
> >Thermaltake Shark Full Tower Alum
> >DDR (400) 3200 - 1 GB (2 pcs 512) Corsair
>
> Here's a sort of "me too".  I have an older ASUS mb (A7V133).  I haven't
> tried to install anything like Ksensors because I don't see anything useful
> in /proc/acpi (which might be Robert Spangler's problem also).  That info
> exists; the BIOS shows it and MSWindows was able to show it.  I'm just too
> new to Linux to know what to do about it.
> TonyN.:'                       <mailto:tonynelson at georgeanelson.com>
>       '                              <http://www.georgeanelson.com/>

A hard drive temp of 114 F is not really excessive IMHO, but it would extend
the life of the drives if they were cooler.  Remember that a stable temp is
better than one that fluctuates. The drive being warm is not what kills it.
It is the cycling from cool to warm that kills the mechanical parts. Metal
expands and contracts with changes in temperatures, with enough cycles the
drive will lose its tolerances and become mis-aligned. In my twenty years as
a computer tech I have seen way to many drives that died as a result of this
cycling on and off.  Hard drive Manufacturers should take this into account
and let you know that the drive should have a maximum number of thermal
cycles as well as mean time between failures.

JAmes Carver