Preparing my system for upgrade to FC4

Paul Johnson paul at all-the-johnsons.co.uk
Mon Jun 13 08:36:00 UTC 2005

Hi,

> I am running FC3 atm, and will upgrade during the week and have a few
> questions:
> - Is the upgrade mode reliable, or is it better to do a fresh install ?

Depends on how screwed up your machine is and by that I mean how much
"non-standard" code do you have on the box? If you're like the vast
majority of FC users, it's fine. I've gone from a RH9 to FC3 box in one
shot before now.

I did have to do a completely fresh install from FC1 to FC2 due to my
system being somewhat insane and it also needed it!

> If not, then:
> -  Is there an easy way to backup setting files (/etc, ...) ?

I'd make a copy of /home/<usernames> just incase. Everything else should
be fine.

> - Do I have to remove my ~/gtk* directories ?

Not that I can see.

TTFN

Paul
--
"He's not the Messiah, he's a very naughty boy"
- Life of Brian, Monty Python