VOIP with a linksys PAP2

Kevin J. Cummings cummings at kjchome.homeip.net
Mon Jun 13 20:58:40 UTC 2005

THUFIR HAWAT wrote:
> On 6/13/05, Kevin J. Cummings <cummings at kjchome.homeip.net> wrote:
>
>>Indeed, I see no mention of eth1 here, but perhaps its not
>>configured?
>

> I know that both eth0 and eth1 "work" in that I can plug the asus
> WI-FI network adapter into either, reboot and have an internet
> connection.
>

>>Does "ifconfig eth1" tell you anything?

> [root at localhost ~]# ifconfig eth1
> eth1      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:0D:88:37:FA:22
>           BROADCAST MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1
>           RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
>           TX packets:27 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
>           collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
>           RX bytes:0 (0.0 b)  TX bytes:5928 (5.7 KiB)
>           Interrupt:5 Base address:0xd000
>
> [root at localhost ~]#

eth1 is neither UP, nor has any IP address information  (no IPADDR, no
NETMASK, no BROADCAST) so TCP/IP will not work over it.  Furthermore,
regardless of what may be attached to the network it is plugged into,
none of your routing referes to it (probably a side effect of not being
configured!  B^)

> thank you all so much for the help here :)

If you have no devices on the eth1 network which will be DHCP servers,
you'll either have to run one on your Linux computer for it, or you'll
have to configure the TCP/IP staticly (ie, pick a private subnet network
address for it, and configure the network interface at boot time, and
configure all devices on that network so that they all have different
address in the same subnet.  Basic TCP/IP administration, this is what
we used to do before there was a DHCP standard!)

I'm pretty sure that if you run system-config-network (as root) you'll
see that the eth1 interface is *NOT* active.  However, don't despair,
its the right tool to configure that interface for you!

--
Kevin J. Cummings
kjchome at rcn.com
cummings at kjchome.homeip.net