problems with bittorrent - Solved - well sort of

Claude Jones claude_jones at levitjames.com
Tue Jun 14 01:29:44 UTC 2005

On Monday 13 June 2005 3:38 pm, Claude Jones wrote:
> I have installed bittorrent and configured my firewall to allow tcp on
> ports 6881-6889. I followed the exact same procedure on two FC3 machines.
> One is working just fine. The other just wants to download the .torrent
> file. I've read several bittorrent faqs, I found four of them, and looked
> through the rest of the documentation, but I can't get a solution. Does
> anyone have an idea what else I could check?
> --
> Claude Jones
> Bluemont, VA, USA

I've got a weird problem at my workplace. We have a T1 and a DSL. Both are
routed through a CISCO router, such that with a few simple commands, we can
direct traffic from our LAN to one or the other connection. If one goes down,
we can be back up in under 5 minutes. There's a lot of other complicated
routing going on under the hood, such that some traffic uses the DSL all the
time. Anyhow, the main point is that the CISCO has never worked perfectly in
all routing situations, and sometimes stuff going out the DSL gets confused.
I think I ran into this issue today. The guy who manages the setup keeps
putting off solving the problem. I have set up bittorrent on my second Linux
box at work which is on the T1 and it's working just fine now.
--
Claude Jones
Bluemont, VA, USA