KDE blacklist of Fedora Core's gcc 4

Steven P. Ulrick ulrick2 at faith4miracle.org
Tue Jun 14 09:44:49 UTC 2005

On Tue, 14 Jun 2005 14:36:16 +0530
Rahul Sundaram <sundaram at redhat.com> wrote:

> Steven P. Ulrick wrote:
>
> >Hello, Everyone
> >First of all, a personal message to Arjan: I CC'd this to you because
> >of your involvement with a thread about this issue on the fedora-test
> >list.  If I am out of order in CC'ing you, I do apologize.
> >

> >This issue was originally discussed on the fedora-test list, shortly
> >before FC4 was released.  Since FC4 has been released, and the
> >problem persists, I assumed the fedora-user list would be the place
> >to take this. If you all say so, I will restart this thread on any
> >list you tell me to.
> >
> >When attempting to compile KDE from SVN TRUNK on Fedora Core
> >4 (Fresh installation, not an upgrade.  I waited for the official
> >release as well.  In addition, I installed EVERY package) I get the
> >following error:
> >

> The code in KDE SVN seems to blacklist  GCC 4 using a blanket version
> check. Since Fedora GCC version contains patches to fix this issue,
> you should try removing the version check from the code and compile
> KDE again
>
> regards
> Rahul

Hello, Rahul :)
I hate to bother you more than you can imagine, but can I assume that
the code that I need to remove is in the "configure" file that is in
the root of each KDE module?  If it is, then how can I get changes that
I make to stick, since running "unsermake -f Makefile.cvs" will
overwrite the "configure" script.
Of course, I may be wrong about where this version check is located.
Please feel free to correct me if necessary.  But I must also confess,
that I can't find exactly what I need to find.  I've tried a few
things, with no success.

The real frustrating part about this is as follows:
> Please do not report a bug or bother us reporting this
> configure error. We know about it, and we introduced
> it by intention to avoid untraceable bugs or crashes in KDE.

I must interpret that to mean that as soon as they find out the Fedora
Core's gcc 4 is fixed, that they will remove the blacklist.

Anyway, any help you can give my will be greatly appreciated :)
Also, as always I am willing to learn.

Steven P. Ulrick