Print Sharing in FC3

Steve & Julie Croteau sjcroteau at comcast.net
Tue Jun 14 19:55:01 UTC 2005

On Tuesday 14 June 2005 07:29 am, Tony Nelson wrote:
> At 10:46 PM -0700 6/13/05, Steve & Julie Croteau wrote:
> >Greetings,
> >Attempting to print share with two FC3 boxes behind a router without
> >success.
> >I'm very new to this so be gentle.  Does anyone know where I can find a
> >simple 'how to' on this subject?  I haven't been able to find one.
>
> FWIW, I had (and may have again) trouble setting up my odd conf (which uses
> netatalk to print to a localtalk laserprinter through a Mac), where
> system-config-printer kept mucking with what I entered.  I had more success
> with the CUPS web interface at <http://localhost:631> .
> TonyN.:'                       <mailto:tonynelson at georgeanelson.com>
>       '                              <http://www.georgeanelson.com/>

I've taken your advice and have been working with Cups at
<http://localhost:631>.  We have 2 computers at home both connected to a
Netgear Prosafe VPN Firewall/Router, model FVS-318.  Just recently changed
from SuSE 9.2 to FC3 on both boxes.  Love FC3!!  The admin program in the
router tells me I've got box #1 with an IP of 192.168.0.2 and box #2 with an
IP of 192.168.0.3.

On box #1 (which is where the HP usb printer is attached) should I set up the
printer as an IPP(http), IPP(ipp), Hal, or as a local USB printer?  After set
up in Cups, I can turn on 'sharing' in the gnome printconf gui correct?  Once
sharing is on, do I only share it with 192.168.0.3?

On box #2 same questions, ipp(http), ipp(ipp)?  Those options require a device
URL name.  I realize it depends on the answer to the previous question but am
I close with this:

Device URI: http://192.168.0.2:631/ipp/631

Do I need the queue appended to that URI?  The queue on the server
is /printer/deskjet-5550.

I keep getting messages on the client saying the network host 192.168.0.2 is
busy.  What have I screwed up besides everything?  Thank you!!!