OT: GPL Question

Scot L. Harris webid at cfl.rr.com
Tue Jun 14 21:31:57 UTC 2005

On Tue, 2005-06-14 at 17:10, Andy Pieters wrote:
> Hi all
>
> I am asking this list for advise since I don't know where to get help on this
> issue.  I tried mailing the Free Software Foundation but they haven't
> answered my mail.
>
> So I am making a product, that was originally meant to be distributed as GPL.
> Now the buyer asks me to release it under a comercial license.
>
> Here's the catch: One module of the product uses LGPL'ed code, and the icons
> used in the product are GPL as well.
>
> Would it be possible for me to make a comercial license that says:
>
> License for 'module X', and 'icons': GPL
> License for the total product: not free.
>
> Does anyone has experience with this or know where to turn to for these kind
> of questions?

Because code is GPL or LGPL does not mean you can not charge money for
your package.  You just need to comply with the rules in the GPL/LGPL.
This normally means that the source code must be made available if
requested.  Now if your client does not want to make the source code of
the product available and wants to keep it proprietary then you may be
better off figuring out if the GPLed portions allow this or not.  You
may want to generate your own icons and see if the LGPLed portion can be
distributed separately.

--
Scot L. Harris
webid at cfl.rr.com