FC4 install to external hard drive

Edward Dekkers edward at tripled.iinet.net.au
Wed Jun 15 07:09:39 UTC 2005

Jonathan Berry wrote:
> Hey everyone,
>
> I recently got an external HD (enclosure + internal disk).  I've been
> wanting to try installing to the external drive to see how it works,
> so I thought I'd try with FC4.  I get to Disk Druid and it will only
> show my internal HD on my laptop.  The external HD is very much
> visible to the system as I can do an fdisk -l from the shell and see
> it there.  I have to tell DD where to install, though, so how can I
> get DD to see (or show) the external HD?  Anyone have any ideas?  And
> let's try to avoid flames about the relative merits of DD and fdisk :
> ).  The disk is fully partitioned and all, I just need to tell Fedora
> where to install itself.
> This is FC4 x86_64 for the record.
>
> Jonathan

You will need to make a new initrd (initial ramdisk) which contains ALL
required drivers for USB mass storage devices. They are NOT provided by
the default install bootstrap.

I did this years ago when I needed to install on a SCSI disk attached to
a 1542 controller.

man makeinitrd

Then you may have to create a new boot iso with this initrd. That part
sounds harder, because when I was doing it, the kernel still fit on a
floppy.

Someone else may have to help you with that or try google.

Regards,
Ed.