FC4 - no sound with Intel 82801FB/FBM/FR/FW/FRW

Norman Gaywood norm at turing.une.edu.au
Wed Jun 15 09:09:35 UTC 2005

On Wed, Jun 15, 2005 at 06:10:52PM +1000, Norman Gaywood wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 15, 2005 at 10:03:13AM +0200, Schlueri wrote:
> > Am Mittwoch, den 15.06.2005, 14:05 +1000 schrieb Norman Gaywood:
> > > I have a Dell 610 laptop and I can't get the sound to work with
> > > system-config-soundcard.
>
> > I've had exactly the same problem on brand new Dell Inspirion 9300. Open
> > gnome-mixer or alsamixer an enable "external amp" solve my problem.
> > Before this only the headphone jack working. :-)
>
> Ha! Brillant. That works for me as well. Thanks very much.

I spoke too soon. The test sound works with system-config-soundcard

However, any other attempt to get sound seems to fail:

$ play info.wav
sox: Unable to reset OSS driver.  Possibly accessing an invalid file/device

:-(

--
Norman Gaywood, Systems Administrator
School of Mathematics, Statistics and Computer Science

norm at turing.une.edu.au            Phone: +61 (0)2 6773 2412
http://turing.une.edu.au/~norm    Fax:   +61 (0)2 6773 3312