Problems with innd after upgrading to FC4

Michael Fleming mfleming at enlartenment.com
Wed Jun 15 10:32:40 UTC 2005

On Wed, Jun 15, 2005 at 10:20:43AM +0100, Colin Paul Adams waffled thusly:
> As usual, this is the bane of any upgrade I do.

Been down that path myself many times...

> After comparing the various .rpmnew files in /etc/news with the
> existing files, and updating, I attempt to start innd.
>
> I get the following in /var/log/news/errlog:
>
> INND exiting because of signal
> INND exiting because of signal
> INND exiting because of signal
> innd: dbz: wrong of_t size (10)
> innd: dbzinit: getconf failure
> innd: can't dbzinit /var/lib/news/history Numerical argument out of domain
> innd: dbzclose: not opened!
> innd: can't dbzclose /var/lib/news/history Numerical argument out of domain
> innd: SERVER can't open history /var/lib/news/history: Numerical argument out of domain

Looks like your history database was written with an older version of
Bezerkely DB and the new FC4 db-4* version has changed things slightly (as is
often the case with Berkeley DB version upgrades)

> Do I have to do something to rebuild the history database?

Sorry, looks like it's our old friends makedbz / makehistory will need
to visit :-(

Michael (still has not-fond memories of herd^H^H^Hrunning INN and the
database corruptions that were all too frequent..)

--
Michael Fleming <mfleming at enlartenment.com>
"Bother" said the Borg, "We've assimilated Pooh!"