fedora core 4: can't get kernel source (x86_64) with up2date

Paul Howarth paul at city-fan.org
Wed Jun 15 13:10:04 UTC 2005

Jim Hayward wrote:
> On Wed, 15 Jun 2005 13:37:17 +0100
> Paul Howarth <paul at city-fan.org> wrote:
>

>>A few lines further down the release notes, it says that one of the
>>ways of getting the .src.rpm is:
>>
>># up2date --get-source kernel
>

> Yeah, I saw that. I figured it was a bug in the release notes left over
> from FC3, since section 6.2.2.2 gives the correct naming description
> for the sources in FC4.

I also think it's a bug in the release notes, but for a different reason.

up2date --get-source should retrieve the SRPM for the named package.
Since the named package is "kernel" and not "kernel-source", it's
nothing to do with the naming convention change since FC2 (i.e. no more
kernel-source package). The problem now is, I think, that up2date uses
the same repos as yum, and yum repos don't contain any SRPMs. So up2date
  --get-source isn't going to work with yum repos.

Paul.