OT: GPL Question

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Wed Jun 15 14:49:07 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-06-15 at 05:19, Andy Pieters wrote:
> Thanks everyone for replying on my question.
>
> Maybe I'm better of to find a lawer since the opinions here differ.  Only I
> might have a hard time finding one that understands computer licenses in
> France.

In particular, the GPL license extends to anything that can be
considered a 'derivative work' under copyright law.  The traditional
interpretation is that this means anything that contains GPL code
within the same program, is statically linked to a GPL library
or is dynamically linked to a GPL library that has no alternatively
licensed equivalent.  However, as far as I know, this interpretation
has never been tested in court, and even if it had, might not cover
all the possibilities.

--
   Les Mikesell
     lesmikesell at gmail.com