realplay RPM is nasty

Jason L Tibbitts III tibbs at math.uh.edu
Wed Jun 15 18:50:59 UTC 2005

FA> Well, it's the ${MTYPE} stuff that needs to be tweaked, then
FA> realplay.mime, maybe realplay.applications (?)

My problem is that I don't know the complete story behind how the
desktops (and the browsers) decide which application handles which
file type.  /usr/share/application-registry/realplay.applications has
a huge list under mime_types, so that's a start.  But
/usr/share/mime-info/realplay.keys has a more stuff in a different
format.  How do the desktops use these files in order to figure out
what to launch when you click on a file?

I can't comment on package distribution; I don't intend to distribute
these packages since I built them for our local machines, but of
course the spec file is completely free.  Maybe Livna or Dag would
want to take on distribution once we can hammer out a sane specfile.

FA> If you start a discussion some place else (fedora-list doesn't
FA> seem the most appropriate place to talk about this issue) please
FA> let me know. I'll help with whatever I can.

I don't really see why this list is inappropriate, at least at this
stage.

 - J<