Compileing vanila kernel on FC4

Damir Dezeljin programing at mbss.org
Thu Jun 16 05:47:20 UTC 2005

Hi.

I'm trying to compile a vanila kernel (linux-2.6.11.12) on FC4.
Unfortunately an error stops the compilation:
----
make[3]: *** [drivers/i2c/algos/i2c-algo-bit.o] Error 1
make[2]: *** [drivers/i2c/algos] Error 2
make[1]: *** [drivers/i2c] Error 2
make: *** [drivers] Error 2
----

As I encountered a similar error with the last mm kernel and 2.6.12
rc, I guess I'm doing something wrong.

So I have few questions:
- Is the kernel that comes with the distribution compiled with GCC-4.0?
BTW: Is there a way to get the compiler version from the binary - maybe
something like 'uname -a', 'file', 'type'?

- I'm getting errors even if I try to use gcc32 (GCC-3.2) - is there a
problem with a kernel or is it my faoult ;)?
BTW: I used gcc32 by changing the top directory Makefile - is this the
'correct' aproach? Is there a simpler way to do it?

- How can I install the source of the kernel that comes with the distro?
I'm used to Debian where I can just use 'apt-get install kernel-source'.
'yum search kernel-source' didn't return a package matching the kernel
source.

BTW: I need to compile an vanila kernel as I'm going to develop a kernel
module ... heh ... of course the first step is the compilation of the
vanila ;)

Thanks and best regards,
Dezo