Fresh FC4 install issues

AdabalaP at schneider.com AdabalaP at schneider.com
Thu Jun 16 15:14:40 UTC 2005

I am attaching my config/logs:

[root at fc4svr drivers]# system-config-display -v --reconfig

Trying with card: Trident CyberBlade (generic)
Writing temporary config file to /tmp/tmpd6PP0Yxorg.config
Trying to start X server
Waiting for X server to start...log located in /var/log/Xorg.setup.log
1...2...3...4...5....X server started successfully.

/var/log/Xorg.setup.log:
========================
X Window System Version 6.8.2
Release Date: 9 February 2005
X Protocol Version 11, Revision 0, Release 6.8.2
Build Operating System: Linux 2.6.9-1.906_ELsmp i686 [ELF]
Current Operating System: Linux fc4svr.net 2.6.11-1.1369_FC4 #1 Thu Jun 2
22:53:35 EDT 2005 i586
Build Date: 02 June 2005
Build Host: tweety.build.redhat.com

        Before reporting problems, check http://wiki.X.Org
Module Loader present
OS Kernel: Linux version 2.6.11-1.1369_FC4
(bhcompile at tweety.build.redhat.com) (gcc version 4.0.0 20050525 (Red Hat
4.0.0-9)) #1 Thu Jun 2 22:53:35 EDT 2005
        (++) from command line, (!!) notice, (II) informational,
(++) Log file: "/dev/null", Time: Wed Jun 15 22:40:22 2005
(++) Using config file: "/tmp/tmpd6PP0Yxorg.config"
(WW) TRIDENT(0): Failed to set up write-combining range
(0xf5000000,0x400000)
Synaptics DeviceInit called
SynapticsCtrl called.
Synaptics DeviceOn called
Synaptics DeviceOff called
tScreenIndex from module /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/drivers/trident_drv.o is
unresolved!

   *** If unresolved symbols were reported above, they might not
   *** be the reason for the server aborting.

Fatal server error:
Caught signal 8.  Server aborting

Please consult the The X.Org Foundation support
         at http://wiki.X.Org
 for help.
Please also check the log file at "/dev/null" for additional information.

/etc/X11/xorg.conf:
===================

# Xorg configuration created by system-config-display

Section "ServerLayout"
        Identifier     "Default Layout"
        Screen      0  "Screen0" 0 0
        InputDevice    "Mouse0" "CorePointer"
        InputDevice    "Synaptics" "AlwaysCore"
EndSection

Section "Files"

# RgbPath is the location of the RGB database.  Note, this is the name of
the
# file minus the extension (like ".txt" or ".db").  There is normally
# no need to change the default.
# Multiple FontPath entries are allowed (they are concatenated together)
# By default, Red Hat 6.0 and later now use a font server independent of
# the X server to render fonts.
        RgbPath      "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/rgb"
        FontPath     "unix/:7100"
EndSection

Section "Module"
        Load  "dbe"
        Load  "extmod"
        Load  "fbdevhw"
        Load  "glx"
        Load  "record"
        Load  "freetype"
        Load  "type1"
        Load  "synaptics"
        Load  "dri"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"

# Specify which keyboard LEDs can be user-controlled (eg, with xset(1))
#       Option  "Xleds"         "1 2 3"
# To disable the XKEYBOARD extension, uncomment XkbDisable.
#       Option  "XkbDisable"
# To customise the XKB settings to suit your keyboard, modify the
# lines below (which are the defaults).  For example, for a non-U.S.
# keyboard, you will probably want to use:
#       Option  "XkbModel"      "pc102"
# If you have a US Microsoft Natural keyboard, you can use:
#       Option  "XkbModel"      "microsoft"
#
# Then to change the language, change the Layout setting.
# For example, a german layout can be obtained with:
#       Option  "XkbLayout"     "de"
# or:
#       Option  "XkbLayout"     "de"
#       Option  "XkbVariant"    "nodeadkeys"
# If you'd like to switch the positions of your capslock and
# control keys, use:
#       Option  "XkbOptions"    "ctrl:swapcaps"
# Or if you just want both to be control, use:
#       Option  "XkbOptions"    "ctrl:nocaps"
#
        Identifier  "Keyboard0"
        Driver      "kbd"
        Option      "XkbModel" "pc105"
        Option      "XkbLayout" "us"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier  "Mouse0"
        Driver      "mouse"
        Option      "Protocol" "IMPS/2"
        Option      "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
        Option      "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
        Option      "Emulate3Buttons" "yes"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier  "Synaptics"
        Driver      "synaptics"
        Option      "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
        Option      "Protocol" "auto-dev"
        Option      "Emulate3Buttons" "yes"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
        Identifier   "Monitor0"
        VendorName   "Monitor Vendor"
        ModelName    "Unknown monitor"
        HorizSync    31.5 - 37.9
        VertRefresh  50.0 - 70.0
        Option      "dpms"
EndSection

Section "Device"
        Identifier  "Videocard0"
        Driver      "trident"
        VendorName  "Videocard vendor"
        BoardName   "Trident CyberBlade (generic)"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
        Identifier "Screen0"
        Device     "Videocard0"
        Monitor    "Monitor0"
        DefaultDepth     8
        SubSection "Display"
                Viewport   0 0

                Depth     8
                Modes    "800x600"
        EndSubSection
EndSection

Section "DRI"
        Group        0
        Mode         0666
EndSection

Thanks.

                      "N. James Bridge"
                      <james at xmas.demon.c        To:       For users of Fedora Core releases <fedora-list at redhat.com>
                      o.uk>                      cc:
                      Sent by:                   Subject:  Re: Fresh FC4 install issues
                      fedora-list-bounces
                      @redhat.com

                      06/16/2005 08:41 AM
                      Please respond to
                      For users of Fedora
                      Core releases

On Wed, 2005-06-15 at 11:24 -0500, AdabalaP at schneider.com wrote:
> Hello all,
> I tried to performed a graphical install but got a "white screen", So
> switched to test based install, Installation went fine. Now i get the
same
> "white screen" when i rebooted.
> Has any one seen this issue ?
>
> Details: Model - Compaq Presario, Video Card - Cyber Blade
>
> Thanks,

Exactly the same, except that I didn't try the text install, so I still
have FC3, fortunately.

I tried several times. The media checks are all passed and each time the
install hangs with a white screen just after starting the X-server. FC3
install looks identical up to this point but goes on to show a black
screen with a central X before giving the graphical install, starting
with choosing your language.

I noticed on the initial startup screen something about tty not
recognised. FC3 gets it OK. Is there some way of slowing these reports
down? I can't read that fast!

I have an oldish system with Gigabyte motherboard and Celeron processor,
built-in Trident Blade graphics. No problem for FC3. Guess I'll stick
with it for a while.
--
N. James Bridge <james at xmas.demon.co.uk>