FC3 to FC4 upgrade report

Gérard Milmeister gemi at bluewin.ch
Thu Jun 16 15:52:52 UTC 2005

Here are a few of the issues I had upgrading from FC3 to FC4.
Comments are welcome.

- There are no icons for most KDE apps in the GNOME main menu. I noticed
  that the kde .desktop files indicate icons without .png extension, but
  adding one didn't do anything.
- The right Windows key has a strange mapping: Down is mouse button 4
  and Up is mouse button 5. I couldn't find anything in the
  configuration reponsible for this.
- In the GNOME main menu .desktop files *not* in the standard
  /usr/share/applications location appear in a separate submenu.
  For example there are two Graphics submenus, one with the standard
  .desktop files and one with the .desktop files in
  /usr/share/gnome/apps/Graphics/apps
- There are missing compatibility rpms, for example for third-party rpms
  that need libgcj.so.4 or libdbus-1.so.0. I don't know if this feasible
  at all.
- The pwc.ko module for Webcams is present but doesn't work. A
  device /dev/video1 is created but non-functional. Installing
  pwc-10.0.7a however does work.

--
Gérard Milmeister
Langackerstrasse 49