rhn-applet again

Paul Howarth paul at city-fan.org
Thu Jun 16 16:46:34 UTC 2005

Scott wrote:
> 	Paul:
>
> 	Are you seeing a throbbing exclamation point for the applet?

I'm seeing a nice, blue tick (that's a check I believe if you're American).

> I have a fresh new install of FC4, and the applet does not see the
> available updates, but upon starting up2date by clicking on the applet I
> get notification of the available packages.
>
> The only uncommented lines in etc.../sources:
>
> ### Repo Metadata
> # Note that setting this makes up2date look in /etc/yum.repos.d/ for
> # repository configuration.
> # type channel-label url
> repomd fedora http://fedora.redhat.com/
>
> i find that url is suspicious so I tried to point it to the repo no help
> there, perhaps the repo that the applet looks at is coded elsewhere.

I don't think it uses that URL for anything; it's just there to maintain
the "type channel-label url" format of repo entries. The actual URLs
used should be the ones specified in the repositories in /etc/yum.repos.d

I hardly ever see the throbbing exclamation mark normally because an
overnight yum update usually installs updates from a local mirror that
is itself updated overnight before the applet can tell me about them.

So, I decided to manually downgrade a package that has been updated
since FC4 release (installed gedit-2.10.2-3.i386.rpm from FC4 media),
and asked the applet to check for updates. It said there weren't any
(!). So it appears to be broken after all.

In fact, up2date itself appears to be confused about which version of
Fedora Core I'm running, because it changes $releasever from 4 to 3
whilst it's running:

# up2date --nox --list
initRepo
Baseurl(s) for repo:
['http://ftp.manchester.xyratex.com/yum/fedora/extras/4/i386/',
'http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/extras/4/i386/']
Baseurl(s) for repo:
['http://ftp.manchester.xyratex.com/yum/fedora/updates/4/i386',
'http://ftp.nluug.nl/ftp/pub/os/Linux/distr/fedora/updates/4/i386',
'http://www.mirror.ac.uk/mirror/fedora.redhat.com/updates/4/i386',
'http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/core/updates/4/i386']
Baseurl(s) for repo: ['http://ftp.manchester.xyratex.com/yum/fedora/4/i386']
Setting up Package Sacks
Excluding Incompatible Archs
Finished
initRepo
Setting up Package Sacks
Excluding Incompatible Archs
Finished
initRepo
Setting up Package Sacks
Excluding Incompatible Archs
Finished
initRepo
Setting up Package Sacks
Excluding Incompatible Archs
Finished

Fetching Obsoletes list for channel: extras...
initRepo

Fetching obsoletes list for
http://ftp.manchester.xyratex.com/yum/fedora/extras/3/i386/...

Fetching Obsoletes list for channel: updates-released...
initRepo

Fetching obsoletes list for
http://ftp.manchester.xyratex.com/yum/fedora/updates/3/i386...

Fetching Obsoletes list for channel: base...
initRepo

Fetching obsoletes list for
http://ftp.manchester.xyratex.com/yum/fedora/3/i386...

Fetching rpm headers...
initRepo
bytes=440-42052
There was a fatal error communicating with the server. The message was:

An HTTP error occurred:
Status Code: 404
Error Message: Not Found

So it correctly calculates the baseurls to use, but subsequently changes
the "4" to "3" and hence can't find the updated packages. By hardcoding
$releasever as "4" in the .repo files I was able to get up2date to work,
but the applet still refused to indicate there were any updates
available. Very strange.

Paul.