Fwd: FC4 install: acpidaemon does not start

Goksin Akdeniz goksin_akdeniz at superposta.com
Thu Jun 16 19:12:02 UTC 2005

> --- Alexander Dalloz <ad+lists at uni-x.org> wrote:
> > Am Do, den 16.06.2005 schrieb Globe Trotter um 16:34:
> > > Did anyone have a fix for this?

> > Did you check the permissions of that log file (chown root:root; chmod
> > 640)? Do you see corresponding audit / avc log messages either in
> > /var/log/audit/audit.log or /var/log/messages?
>
> cd /var/log/
> ll acpid
> -rw-r-----  1 root root 8840 Jun 13 11:06 acpid
>
> Both /var/log/messages and /var/log/audit/audit.log are blank files.
>
> Sorry, am not very well-versed with all this, just would like to learn.
>
> Best,
> GT.
>
> > Alexander
> >

> > --
> > Alexander Dalloz | Enger, Germany | GPG http://pgp.mit.edu 0xB366A773
> > legal statement: http://www.uni-x.org/legal.html
> > Fedora Core 2 GNU/Linux on Athlon with kernel 2.6.11-1.27_FC2smp
> > Serendipity 16:42:07 up 23 days, 15:19, load average: 0.28, 0.14, 0.08
> >
> > > --

> __________________________________
> Discover Yahoo!
> Stay in touch with email, IM, photo sharing and more. Check it out!
> http://discover.yahoo.com/stayintouch.html

It is ok. That notation means that the log file can be written and red by
"owner" and read by group.

GNU/Linux os simply clasify files with permissions respectively; owner, group
and rest of the world.

ACPI question is may be related to bios software. I had similar experiences in
the past with my laptop. Some of the BIOS features was not supported and os
failed to start ACPI.

It is better to have information about BIOS software, vendor, etc.