FC4 Not installing (DVD)

Scott Talbot talbotscott at cox.net
Thu Jun 16 23:00:53 UTC 2005

Austin Isler wrote:

> Michael A. Peters wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 2005-06-16 at 14:48 -0700, Austin Isler wrote:
>>

>>> Hello guys and gals.
>>> I was also one of the people who were experiencing slow downloads on
>>> BT, but I stuck with it anyways. 3 days later and I have it. Now
>>> here is the problem. Right away I noticed that the md5sum did not
>>> match the one in the text file that came with the iso. I said "what
>>> the hell" and burned it to DVD anyways. Now when I restarted my
>>> computer to allow it to boot from the DVD, it acted like nothing was
>>> on the DVD and just when straight to booting my HD. Also when the
>>> DVD is in the drive it gives me error messages when its searching
>>> for volumes, and then when KDE boots, the PC freezes. It all seems
>>> quite strange, after all I downloaded the same iso as everyone else.
>>>

>>> Austin
>>>

>> the file has an sha1sum, not an md5sum.
>> use sha1sum to verify the file.
>>
>> How did you burn it? A common mistake is to not burn the iso, but
>> instead burn a CD/DVD that has the iso file on it.
>>

> In k3b I used the option to burn DVD image (Tools -> DVD -> Burn DVD
> ISO Image)
>

> Austin

    Did you try running the sha1sum program? if not, open a terminal,
and (as root)  cd to the file containing the .iso and the SHA1SUM file.
execute the command: sha1sum -C SHA1SUM.
    After much churning you should get  a return that DVD img is OK (and
a bunch of errors for the files you don't have in your download) if the
img fails, you must return to the BT (BTW did you use
system-config-securitylevel to open up port 6881? that might be your
problem with slow download speeds.  You can check this with iptables -L).
    As far as the disc you burned, did you use the media check option
(this is not really valuable as many people get failures, and can
install anyway, but you gotta check).  Also Please look in the
filesystem (computer icon select DVD-rw) Do you see anything at all? The
proper DVD has 3 folders (Fedora, images, isolinux) and 14 files
including autorun, eula.txt, release-notes etc.
    If the iso is good, perhaps something went wrong with the burn.  Did
you ensure that the burn speed did not exceed the rating of the media?
(discs come in 1x-16x).

    That's all I can think of ATM, hope it helps

Scott