Network device name changed-fedora4..network in mess..

Matthew Saltzman mjs at ces.clemson.edu
Fri Jun 17 02:28:11 UTC 2005

On Thu, 16 Jun 2005, Aaron Gaudio wrote:

> On Fri, 2005-06-17 at 09:13 +0900, Saurabh Siddharth wrote:
>> Hi..
>> I installed fedora4 this tuesday on my dell latitude d600...i configured
>> for wireless( i have intell 2100) and it was up and running. but once i
>> rebooted my machine, it did not work. i opened the network
>> configuration(system-config-network) and under the hardware tab i saw
>> that the system had swapped my device names( it was now eth0 for
>> wireless and eth1 for ethernet)
>
> AFAIK, this is really a kernel issue. The kernel assigns network device
> names in the order it encounters the devices, and from time to time
> (usually after an upgrade), it encounters them in a different order than
> usual.
>
> The workaround I use is to configure /etc/modprobe.conf to make sure
> that when one driver gets loaded (the one I want to be eth1), it first
> loads the other driver (the one I want to be eth0):
>
> alias eth1 orinoco_cs
> alias eth0 e100
> # Force eth0 to get loaded before orinoco_cs, to make sure
> # the network devices get the right names
> #
> install orinoco_cs /sbin/modprobe -q eth0; /sbin/modprobe --ignore-install orinoco_cs
>
> Hope this helps.

That's an interesting idea.  I was going to suggest just deleting all
network interfaces and devices in system-config-network and recreating
them, letting the configurator detect and assign the devices by type.

If you've really screwed up the configuration, you may want to do the
redetection anyway whether you force the load order or not.

--
 		Matthew Saltzman

Clemson University Math Sciences
mjs AT clemson DOT edu