fstab and devices

Scott Talbot talbotscott at cox.net
Fri Jun 17 14:27:40 UTC 2005

Eric Tanguy wrote:

>here is my fstab :
># This file is edited by fstab-sync - see 'man fstab-sync' for details
>/dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00 /              ext3    defaults        1 1
>LABEL=/boot             /boot           ext3    defaults        1 2
>/dev/devpts             /dev/pts        devpts  gid=5,mode=620  0 0
>/dev/shm                /dev/shm        tmpfs   defaults        0 0
>/dev/proc               /proc           proc    defaults        0 0
>/dev/sys                /sys            sysfs   defaults        0 0
>/dev/VolGroup00/LogVol01 swap           swap    defaults        0 0
>/dev/hdd1               /mnt/echange    auto    umask=000 0 0
>/dev/hda1               /mnt/winxp      auto    umask=000,ro 0 0
>/dev/hdc                /media/cdrom    auto
>pamconsole,exec,noauto,managed 0 0
>
>hdd1 is fat32 partition and hda1 is ntfs partition.
>These 2 partitions are mounted at boot time but i would like to see
>these 2 partitions in gnome "poste de travail" (sorry but i do not
>remember the equivalent in english).
>How to do that ?
>
>--
>Eric Tanguy | Nantes, France
><eric.tanguy at univ-nantes.fr>
>Key : A4B8368F | Key Server : subkeys.pgp.net
>Fedora Core release 4 (Stentz) sur athlon kernel 2.6.11-1.1369_FC4

    Eric:
    According to Babelfish "poste de travail" translates to "working
station" so I am guessing that these directories are not mounting.

    For the ntfs directory, you will need to install the modules for
ntfs (http://linux-ntfs.sourceforge.net/).  There is an excellent
install info section (including multi-language FAQ)

    As for the fstab, try the following which is my fstab entry for a
vfat partition

/dev/hdc5               /media/media            vfat
noauto,users,exec 0 0

the filesystem should be set, rather than using auto as it will not be
changing, and will thus be a little faster mounting.

Bon chance
Scott