Stuck on run-level 3 :-(

Paul Howarth paul at city-fan.org
Fri Jun 17 15:25:59 UTC 2005

Andoni wrote:
> I have found that the card is a JetWay 94V but when I set the value to
> JetWay I still have no luck!
> I am still getting the respawning error:
> INIT: Id "x" respawning too fast: disabled for 5 minutes
> when I do an init 5.
> When I run your /sbin/lspci it tells me the graphics card is:
> VGA compatible controller: Intel Corp. 82740 (i740) AGP Graphics Accelerator
> (rev 21).
> even with the controller in system-config-display set to JetWay.
>
> The error I am getting seems to relate to a line at the end of my inittab
> file which reads:
>
> # Run xdm in runlevel 5
> x:5:respawn:/etc/X11/prefdm -nodaemon
>
> could this be causing a problem?

This is a side-effect of the underlying problem, which is that your X
configuration is broken. My previous email described how to get
diagnostics for that problem.

The error message you are seeing about respawning is because in runlevel
5 the init process is trying to start X but it keeps failing due to the
aforementioned configuration issue, hence init keeps trying to restart
it. Eventually it gives up and shows you that error message.

So boot to runlevel 3 as mentioned before and you can get some
information about the actual problem is using "startx".

Paul.