xorg Display problem

AdabalaP at schneider.com AdabalaP at schneider.com
Fri Jun 17 19:11:21 UTC 2005

Fritz,
I have passed "nofb" to the kernel prams
After system reboot  i changed my display to have "thousands of colors" and
monitory type to LCD generic (800x600).
Magically my display is back to normal.

                      Mulligan Fritz
                      <mulligan.fritz at gma        To:       For users of Fedora Core releases <fedora-list at redhat.com>
                      il.com>                    cc:
                      Sent by:                   Subject:  Re: xorg Display problem
                      fedora-list-bounces
                      @redhat.com

                      06/17/2005 11:35 AM
                      Please respond to
                      For users of Fedora
                      Core releases

fedora-list at redhat.com

>                      il.com>                    cc:

>                      Sent by:                   Subject:  xorg Display
problem
>                      fedora-list-bounces

>                      @redhat.com

>                      06/17/2005 11:07 AM

>                      Please respond to

>                      For users of Fedora

>                      Core releases

>I've recently upgraded a Toshiba Portege 2000 laptop (Trident CyberBlade
>video card) from FC3 to FC4.
>
>In FC3 everything worked perfectly fine in X.  in FC4 not even the
>install will load properly.  I have to pass a resolution argument to the
>kernel on boot and I also get a white screen and have to press Fn-5 to
>disable and then re-enable the lcd for it to show properly.
>
>I decided to try to go ahead with the install and then fix it later.
>Well.. I went through with a personal desktop install and lo-and-behold
>I still have to pass a resolution argument and still have to fn-5 it to
>get gdm to display.  I did a yum update to get any last minute fixes. I
>then proceeded to install some other apps:  xmms, mp3 support, mplayer,
>xine, realplayer 10.  I also removed the helix player.  When I attempted
>to bring the system back up the next day, X fails to load with:
>
>[EE] /usr/X11R6/libs/modules/libddc.a is an unrecognized type.
>[EE] TRIDENT: Failed to load module "ddc" (unknown module type, 6)
>
>I've STFW and can't find a dang thing about this.  I've tried everything
>I can think of in my limited experience with xorg and my longer
>experience with XFree86.  But I'm stumped.
>
>Any thoughts?
>
>Fritz
>
>--

I also tried the vesa driver but, like you said, it craps out at
anything higher than 256 color.

What I don't understand is why it worked beautifully in FC3.

Fritz