FC-4 -- unhappy experiences

Alexander Dalloz ad+lists at uni-x.org
Sat Jun 18 00:28:01 UTC 2005

Am Sa, den 18.06.2005 schrieb Timothy Murphy um 0:41:

> >> BIOS Eval: ASUS P2B-LS ACPI BIOS Revision 1010
> >> Chipset:   Intel 440BX/ZX rev 3
> >> Superio:   Winbond 977TF rev 0 found at port 3F0h
> >> ==============================================
> >
> > Ever considered a BIOS update?
> >
> > ftp://ftp.asuscom.de/pub/ASUSCOM/BIOS/Slot_I/INTEL_Chipset/i440BX/P2B-LS/
> >
> > The BIOS for your motherboard model too updates the SCSI component
> > inside it.
>
> I did actually update the SCSI BIOS fairly recently.

But you do not have the latest.

> It seems to me that the fault in the "official" kernels
> must be that they are trying to read from the disk
> before the driver is fully installed.
>
> I notice that the driver takes quite a long time - perhaps 10 seconds -
> to find the two SCSI disks.

Within the SCSI BIOS it is possible to give the SCSI drives a command to
wakeup already in POST state. And you should switch off all non used
SCSI IDs.

> Timothy Murphy

Alexander

Fedora Core 2 GNU/Linux on Athlon with kernel 2.6.11-1.27_FC2smp
Serendipity 02:26:09 up 25 days, 1:03, load average: 0.56, 0.59, 0.51