FC-4 -- unhappy experiences

Timothy Murphy tim at birdsnest.maths.tcd.ie
Sat Jun 18 11:06:17 UTC 2005

<posted & mailed>

Paul Howarth wrote:

> Given that the kernel for the installer is the same one that gets
> installed on the hard disk, if the installer boots then so should the
> installed system.

That is exactly what I have thought (on many occasions).
But the fact is, I have often found that the first CD will boot fine,
and allow the installation to complete,
but that the installed kernel will then not run.
[I think one sees many reports along those lines too.]

I assume it is using the initrd differently in some way
on the two occasions,
or else the module settings or order differs.

Again, on my Picturebook the install CD boots OK,
so it evidently finds the CD drive,
but then when I am asked to choose medium
and I opt for Local CDROM it is not found.

My guess is that on the first occasion it is using the BIOS
to access the CD, while on the second it is using its own driver.
But that is pure speculation, as I haven't looked at that bit of the code.

--
Timothy Murphy
tel: +353-86-2336090, +353-1-2842366