out-of-tree method

Mercury Morris mercury.morris at gmail.com
Sat Jun 18 20:44:00 UTC 2005

Fedora Discussion mailing-list doesn't seem to be the most
appropriate place for this question, but I don't know where
to ask it.

Should the out-of-tree method for building kernel modules
still apply to the 2.6.12 kernel ?

I am running FC3, but built the 2.6.12-rc6 kernel to take
advantage of DVB support for the HD-3000 video capture card.
The results are good, DVB support works well.

Now, I again want to update ati_remote.c to make the ATI Remote
Wonder a little more user-friendly.  But when I tried the out-of-tree
method to build ati_remote.ko, and ran "depmod -a" followed by
"modinfo ati_remote", the results indicate that the original ati_remote.ko
will be loaded when "modprobe ati_remote" is issued.

It appears that the module was successfully compiled and ati_remote.ko
was installed in /lib/modules/2.6.12-rc6/extra.

Why won't the version of the module in"/extra" be recognized as the
one to be loaded ?

Thanks for any insight/help/clues to a solution.

--
MM