Systematic Upgrade from Fedora 1 -> 4

Ben Steeves ben.steeves at gmail.com
Sat Jun 18 23:49:03 UTC 2005

On 6/18/05, Tyler Nally <tnally at technally.com> wrote:

> How do I systematically upgrade it to Fedora 4?
> I'm assuming I have to upgrade to 2, then 3, then 4 before
> I'm done.... is this correct?

I would highly recommend against trying to do that upgrade.  It's
probably not worth the pain.

The best thing to do would be to back up your /home directory (and
other things you might have changed like /var/www and /var/lib/mysql),
and directories that contain configuration information (like /etc) --
you won't want to restore these but they can be helpful to refer back
to in order to get your new system working like the old one.

When you do re-install, put your /home filesytem on a separate
partition; it will make upgrading/re-installing far less painful in
the future!

Ben Steeves                     _                    bcs at metacon.ca
 The ASCII ribbon campaign     ( )            ben.steeves at gmail.com
http://www.metacon.ca/bcs      / \     Yahoo Messenger: ben_steeves