Newcomer to Fedora

Ben Steeves ben.steeves at gmail.com
Sun Jun 19 00:11:38 UTC 2005

On 6/18/05, Gábor Iglói <mdjake at gmail.com> wrote:
> Dear Fedora users,
>
> My name is Gábor Iglói.
>
> I've read about the latest release of Fedora Core 4 and after
> reviewing the release notes I liked the idea of it and gave it a try.

Welcome aboard!

> I have prior Linux experience but I never worked with an rpm-based distro.
>
> Would you please recommend me some official/stable rpm repos to start
> with? And in Fedora is yum.conf the right place to pick up repos?

Extras is the only "official" FC repo that I know of.  You can also
mix-in rpm.livna.org to get things that cannot be shipped in FC, like
mp3 support and DivX codecs.

The correct place to put a repo definition is in /etc/yum.repos.d/ --
the exact contents of the file vary for every repo, of course, and you
can find the proper configuration file on the repo's website, usually.

This is a good jumping off point: http://fedora.redhat.com/docs/
Ben Steeves                     _                    bcs at metacon.ca
 The ASCII ribbon campaign     ( )            ben.steeves at gmail.com
http://www.metacon.ca/bcs      / \     Yahoo Messenger: ben_steeves