Netgear WAG511 Card in FC4

R L fedora26 at gmail.com
Sun Jun 19 04:39:34 UTC 2005

On 6/18/05, R L <fedora26 at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 6/18/05, Daniel Roesen <dr at cluenet.de> wrote:
> > On Sat, Jun 18, 2005 at 08:15:30PM -0400, R L wrote:
> > > Ok, well mine is in Taiwan.  I did what you said and my dmesg says
> > > Loaded prism54 driver, version 1.2.  And I have it loaded as a module.
> > >  So that is good.  However, when I do "iwconfig", I get:
> > >
> > > lo    no wireless extensions
> > > eth0  no wireless extensions
> > > sit0   no wireless extensions
> > >
> > > And when I do iwconfig eth0 essid 123456 I get:
> > >
> > > SET failed on device eth0 ; Operation not supported.
> > >
> > > eth0 is my pc slot WAG511 card right?
> >
> > I don't know. That depends on what other network interfaces your laptop
> > has. Do you have a built-in wired ethernet interface? Most probably yes,
> > so this will end up as eth0, and your WG511 as eth1. So that
> > lo/eth0/sit0 have no wireless extension support is absolutely correct.
> >
> > > It's not sit0 right? I tried sit0 and it wouldnt even load the prism
> > > driver.
> >
> > No, sit0 is a virtual interface used for IPv6 tunneling. Just ignore.
> >
> > > Now why can't I configure eth0 with iwconfig?
> >
> > Because it's most probably your wired ethernet interface. Try eth1
> >
> > Also check: fgrep " eth" /var/log/dmesg and you'll see what devices
> > are detected as ethX
> >
> > If you got this clarified, you should use the network configuration
> > tool to configure your card. No need to fiddle with iwconfig etc.
> >

> > Best regards,
> > Daniel
>
> eth0 is my Broadcom 4400 10/100 BaseT Ethernet.  I tried what you said
> by changing eth0 to eth1 in my modprobe.conf.  That didn't work; prism
> didn't get loaded and iwconfig dosen't show an eth1 nor does dmesg. So
> what in the world could be my wireless card adapter?  I tried changing
> it to wi0 to see what happened and no go.
>
> The only devices it sees as eth* is eth0 which is the built in one.

Got it working!!  I thank you for helping but you were wrong. :)  It
didn't take that driver.  It takes the atheros driver from madwifi (
http://sourceforge.net/projects/madwifi/ ).  It works with no problems
with that card.  Just took a make and a make install and then adding
an essid, key, and IP address with iwconfig and locking it in G-mode
with iwpriv. I then added my Linksys wifi router in a "route add
default gw 192.168.1.1" and changed my resolv.conf and it worked
great.

For anyone else who has this card, this is how it's done.