Kernel or Grub

Ernest L. Williams Jr. ernesto at ornl.gov
Sun Jun 19 14:08:56 UTC 2005

On Sun, 2005-06-19 at 00:56 -0400, Peter Jones wrote:
> On Fri, 2005-06-17 at 20:12 -0400, Ernest L. Williams Jr. wrote:
>

> > In the official release of Fedora Core 4, this problem exists and stops
> > me cold.  Please, tell me how to get Fedora Core 4 working?
> >

> Well, it's highly unlikely this is the same error, so can you show us
> what your screen says when things stop working properly?
No volume groups found
  Unable to find volume group "VolGroup00"
ERROR: /bin/lvm exited abnormally! (pid 483)

Resolution:
For a laptop LVM is probably not necessary. So, I reinstalled FC4 with
basic partitioning (i.e. No LVM!!)

Everything is perfect now with respect to booting.

I will try the FC4 install on my Desktop next nd see what happens with
respect to lvm.

PS: When I installed FC3 on my laptop, with the lvm partitioning
everything worked great.

[williams at lion ~]$ df -h
/dev/mapper/VolGroup00-LogVol00
                       34G   27G  4.9G  85% /
/dev/hda2             494M   78M  391M  17% /boot
none                 1014M     0 1014M   0% /dev/shm
[williams at lion ~]$

Thanks,
Ernesto