Is it worth installing FC4?

Jim Cornette fc-cornette at insight.rr.com
Sun Jun 19 15:57:04 UTC 2005

Charles E Taylor IV wrote:

>On Sat, 18 Jun 2005 22:23:26 -0400
>Jim Cornette <fc-cornette at insight.rr.com> wrote:
>

>>The problems with Intel video cards seem to be corrected by replacing
>>the /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/libvgahw.a
>>file from the FC4 version of xorg-x11 with a working
>>/usr/X11R6/lib/modules/libvgahw.a
>>from an FC3 working installation, or getting the file from extracting
>>the file from a working rpm for xorg-x11 for FC3.
>>

>>I upgraded a machine with an Intel 815 and another computer with an
>>Intel 865G video cards and X works, the terminals are less than in
>>working order.
>>After the FC4 file is replaced with the FC3 file, the terminals are in
>>working order again after you reboot your system.
>>

>Now the big question is - does DRI survive an acpi suspend/resume cycle
>(or better yet, a swsusp2 suspend/resume cycle) on Intel cideo cards?
>That's the major hurdle I had to get over with my laptop, and I finally
>did it using CVS versions of xorg and a rebuilt kernel with patched i915
>driver from Ubuntu.  After all, a laptop that can't use suspend and resume
>properly is about 1/10 as useful as one that does.

I keep my laptop plugged into the AC adapter. Waiting for the computer
to shutdown or powerup is not a problem for me. I'll wait for FC5 to try
out suspending with acpi. For the laptop, it has a radeon driver.
With the same driver used for so many Intel video cards, I am not
surprised that there are problems with vdeo cards on the high end, as
your video cards and middle to lower capable Intel video cards that I
have. My Intel video cards are on desktops.

>Refresh rate wasn't really an issue for me on this laptop (JVC MP-XV841
>subnotebook) - only the nonstandard resolution of 1024x600 gave FC3
>trouble, which was corrected easily enough after my FC3 install.

Sorry, I was refering to the hovering mouse around menu items to get
them to show up at all and the missing elements with the version of that
cae out on the FC3 install discs or DVD. I usually can get 75 or 85 hz
refresh rates, depending on my selected video resolution.

Overall, I can see why you would choose to hold back on making an
upgrade. With the acpi suspend that you fought to get working for your
present installation, it seems more wrk tha just replacing a single file.

Jim

--
Man is the best computer we can put aboard a spacecraft ... and the
only one that can be mass produced with unskilled labor.