FC4 issues with wireless, sound and serial

Jeffrey Ross jeff at bubble.org
Sun Jun 19 18:41:08 UTC 2005

I have installed FC4 on a IBM Thinkpad 600X however I have 3 problems so
far.
First I can not use the wireless card reliably on the system.  I have a
Cisco Aironet 350 wireless card, the system recognized the card and
obtains a dhcp address.  I can  then use the network normally for a
random amount of time ranging from seconds to usually no more than 15
minutes and then all traffic stops.  The easiest way to get the card
running again is to pull the card out and re-insert it, once this is
done the work "cycle" starts again.  What did I do wrong?

Second, I am unable to use the sound on the system, the sound did work
under FC3, lspci shows the sound to be

00:06.0 Multimedia audio controller: Cirrus Logic CS 4614/22/24
[CrystalClear SoundFusion Audio Accelerator] (rev 01)

lastly, I was trying to use the serial port, I loaded the uucp package
was tried issuing the command "cu -lttyS0 -s9600" (I added my userid to
the uucp group)  The system comes back in a few seconds later simply
saying: "Connected"  and then typing anything results in a
"Disconnected." message.  A USB to Serial adapter however works just
fine with "cu -lttyUSB0 -s9600"
Kermit issues the error: "/dev/ttyS0 is not a terminal device"
Help, pointers etc would be very much appreciated.

TIA,

Jeff