firefox java problem

Temlakos temlakos at gmail.com
Mon Jun 20 13:46:45 UTC 2005

babar haq wrote:
> Hi all
> I am trying to get my java applets running in firefox. The only
> mistake I made in the begining was that I was creating the link in
> /usr/lib/firefox<version>/plugin directory. Googling,showed that the
> link should be in /usr/lib/mozilla/plugin. I removed the old one and
> created a new one with the follwoing command:
> ln -s /usr/java/jre1.5.0_02/plugin/i386/ns7/libjavaplugin_oji.so ./
> Restarted my browser. If I access any page with java applet I get the
> sun revolving around the word "Java" but the progress bar never seems
> to progress and eventually my firefox gets stuck and I have to kill
> it.
> I have installed java using the rpm :jre-1_5_0_02-linux-i586.rpm
> Never had such a hard time installing java plugin:). Waiting for any help.
> Regards,
> Babar Haq

Which version of Fedora are you using?

The FC4 release notes tell you to stay away from Sun's Java RPM. The
reason they give has to do with certain "provides" statements that could
break Java after the next round of updates to other packages.

I followed Michael Peters' instructions, which I'm sure you can find in
the Archives (or at least some links to the JPackage Project), for
building my own Java RPM's. Try this link:

http://www.jpackage.org/

Look for rpm rebuilding instructions (such as how to set up a secure
environment for rpm building, what commands to issue, and how to use
Michael's "no-source" RPM's), and also look for "java_1.5.0_sun*"

I installed the Java 1.5.0 RE and SDK and have not had a problem with
Java. (Now when I installed the plugin RPM, I then had to create a
symlink into the Mozilla plugin folder. Once I did that, I could safely
and effectively run any Java applet in any Web page that had one.)

Also: Java 1.5.0 is now up to Update #3. Update #2 might, for all we
know, have a bug that is creating just the issue you describe.

Java on FC4 is a lot of work; I won't deny that. But a little extra
effort will pay big dividends.

Temlakos