FC4 freezes

Nathan Grennan fedora-list at cygnusx-1.org
Mon Jun 20 15:00:07 UTC 2005

On Sun, 2005-06-19 at 15:20 +0200, Alberto Ferrante wrote:

> Hi all,
> I have experienced a couple of freezes (at least one per day on my home
> PC and one on my laptop) since I installed FC4. On both machines I have
> been using a kernel I have compiled starting from source rpm package. I
> imported the settings from the last kernel I compiled under FC3. I
> cannot give any more detail about the freezes as there is no track in
> any log (it appears to be something like a kernel panic). Is anybody
> else experiencing the same problem?
>
> Thank you for your help.

Yes, I have had a similar freezing problem. In my case it is a server in
a colo across town. I have tried replacing the hardware till I was blue
in the face, and it didn't help. Finally I tried going to a FC3 kernel,
2.6.11-1.27, and the problem went away. I then tried the latest
development kernel, 2.6.11-1.1383, and it would freeze. Then I tried
2.6.11-1.35, and it works. Next I am going to try 2.6.11-1.1286 from
FC4T3 and see what it does. Hopefully I can narrow it down to between
two kernels. I am also hoping to see a new kernel based on the official
2.6.12 that might work better.

I can reproduce the problem by starting up to torrents that have already
completed and hence are seeding. Without 2 seconds to 5 minutes the
machine will freeze or oops. Most of the time it will just complete
freeze. On two occasions I have seen the end of an oops on the console.
I tried using a serial console, but just got freezes.

I tried different motherboards, network cards, cpus, memory, power
supplies, cases, cdrom drives, etc. The only common factors are the agp
video card, the number of network cards(4 cards, tried didn't types) and
120gb PATA hard drive.