Compaq TLAN performance stinky bad

Neal Rhodes neal at mnopltd.com
Mon Jun 20 21:53:02 UTC 2005

I've been running FC3 on one of our older desktops for months now.
While not real fast, it's been running fine.

Today while using it to process audio files from old vinyl records,
I noticed the LAN performance is REALLY slow, like about 7K/second to
move files to other machines, whether by SMB or by SSH.   In contrast,
moving files to an old unix server with 8bit 10baseT card resulted in
about 400K/second.

Here's the info from dmesg:
	ThunderLAN driver v1.15
	TLAN: eth0 irq=11, io=1000, Compaq Integrated NetFlex-3/P, Rev. 16
	TLAN: 1 device installed, PCI: 1  EISA: 0
	ip_tables: (C) 2000-2002 Netfilter core team
	TLAN: eth0: Starting autonegotiation.
	TLAN: eth0: Autonegotiation complete.
	TLAN:  Starting internal PHY with HALF-DUPLEX
	TLAN: eth0: Link active

After searching about a bit...

[root at idiot ~]# mii-tool -v eth0
eth0: autonegotiation failed, link ok
  product info: vendor 10:00:14, model 1 rev 4
  basic mode:   autonegotiation enabled
  basic status: autonegotiation complete, link ok
  capabilities: 10baseT-FD 10baseT-HD
  advertising:  10baseT-FD 10baseT-HD

I tried forcing it to Full Duplex, whereupon it dropped off the air
completely.   Told it to renegotiate, and it came back.

ethtool doesn't work on the TLAN driver.

In between the servers are a dumb 10/100 Etherfast workgroup hub.

I've run out of things to look for.

Neal Rhodes                       MNOP Ltd                     (770)- 972-5430
President                Lilburn (atlanta) GA 30247             Fax:  978-4741
                             neal at mnopltd.com
                          http://www.mnopltd.com/