Dual boot problems - Grub

Srinivasan S ssrini at rediffmail.com
Tue Jun 21 06:06:24 UTC 2005

Hi

I had a working dual boot system with XP and FC3.  Couple of days ago I had troubke booting XP, drive was not reconized.  I then booted with XP rescue CD and restored partition and MBR.  This obviously overwrote grub and I could not boot FC3 anymore.

I then used the FC3 dvd and did a linux rescue.  On mounting existing installation of Fedora, there was an error and displayed the message that /mnt/sysimage may be only partial.  I did a chroot /mnt/sysimage and then checked /boot/grub/grub.conf, looked correct.  I then tried grub-install /dev/sda (its a SATA harddisk and FC3 is installed on /dev/sda6) and I got an error that /boot is not found and cannot install.

I am stuck .. When I boot xp I can see that all the ext3 partitions of FC3 and the swap partition are present.  But I am unable to install grub.

please help

Regards
Srinivasan