OT: AMD Opteron servers

Jim Cox shakahshakah at gmail.com
Tue Jun 21 22:11:12 UTC 2005

> I'm having a difficult time finding a local supplier (i.e. in the
> Greater Toronto Area) that can build and support an AMD Opteron based
> server.

> I have a client that we're going to be installing a Linux server/thin
> clients for, but they want an AMD server.  IBM and HP have been just
> about impossible to get a quote from, and Dell is out of the question
> (only Intel...what a shame...we're Dell VARs too).

> I'd appreciate it if someone could give me a referral to a small/local
> company that could do this.

Not local suppliers unfortunately, but we just looked at dual Opteron
1U rackmounts and got quotes from Appro (www.appro.com) and Sun. Appro
was a little over $3k for dual 248's w/4Gb of memory, Sun was around
$4200 for a similar config (V20z). The Sun boxes seemed to be in short
supply, but we did order one and it should be in tom'w.