nautilus samba shares

Jim Cornette fc-cornette at insight.rr.com
Thu Jun 23 02:24:34 UTC 2005

Kazimieras Vaina wrote:

>On Tue, 2005-06-21 at 22:04 -0400, Jim Cornette wrote:
>

>>Kazimieras Vaina wrote:
>>

>>>Hi all,
>>>
>>>I've just installed fc4 on x86_64 machine. I use gnome for my desktop.
>>>
>>>When I browse smaba shares with nautilus I see %20 instead of spaces in
>>>files and directories names. This prevents browsing directories where
>>>names contain spaces. Does anyone experience this problem ?
>>>
>>>Best regards
>>>Kazimieras
>>>

>>As far as I recall, spaces are represented by %20 and \ by %5C or
>>something similar. Usually the translation works when clicking on the
>>links. Best thing is to avoid spaces in directory and file names and the
>>\ character.
>>
>>I have downloaded items before and it would save the %20 in the file
>>names because of the person putting spaces in filenames. The files came
>>out like:
>>My%20Favorite%20Music.mp3 instead of My Favorite Music.mp3
>>
>>Jim
>>
>>--
>>Never put off till run-time what you can do at compile-time.
>>		-- D. Gries
>>

>I have fc3 on the other machine installed. On that machine spaces are
>represented by %20 only in nautilus address bar, but not in the "files
>view". I when I copy a file - the name of copied file isn't altered.
>While in fc4 I'm not even able to copy such file - nautilus says that
>the file does not exist. This problem only appears only with smb shares.
>
>I suspect there is a bug in gnome-vfs2-smb or in nautilus. Is it a known
>issue or should I file a bug report in bugzilla ?
>
>Kazimieras

Probably filing a bug report would be wise. I have Samba running at
work. I did not notice this sort of problem. I avoid spaces in filenames
though.

Have you tried to use konqueror to connect to the shares? I know that
different factors are involved with using kde vs. gnome, but the
comparison might show similar failures or narrow it down to what you
described.

Are you using smb to connect to a windows share, linux computer to linux
computer or some other method.

I'll try SAMBA via linux computer to SAMBA share tomorrow. I usually
connect from a windows computer to the linux SAMBA shares. There is one
directory that has spaces in its setup that I can try.

Another question, are you using vfat, ext3 or another type of
filesystem? I have vfat, ext3 and ntfs that I can try to see if the
filesystem type makes any difference. Ext3 works out best when you have
8 gig files to deal with. ntfs is not writable (safely) and vfat has a
limit lower than 4 gig.

I just noticed the arch difference. I have an i686 and your problem is 64 bit. Did you install an i386 version on your computer also? Can you see if it acts the same way with a 32 bit installation?

Jim