System tray utility?

Steffen Kluge kluge at fujitsu.com.au
Thu Jun 23 04:31:25 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-06-22 at 23:03 -0500, Frank Pineau wrote:
> > Kind of, at least in GNOME.  It's called "Window Selector" and you can
> > add it to your panel in the usual way (right-click on the panel and
> > select "Add to Panel...".  It displays a little icon of the currently
> > focused application and when you click on it it displays the title and
> > icon of all open windows.  You can use it in place of the taskbar.
> >

> Yeah, close, but not quite as useful. :)  How does everyone else deal
> with having many apps always open?  Maybe I'm missing something good
> that works just as well, but differently.

I use the "Window Selector" that Ben mentioned, and don't use the
"Window List" at all, since that one becomes useless with more than a
handful of open apps. The "Window Selector" does exactly what I need and
is small and unobtrusive.

I also use 9 workspaces and have developed a convention for organising
my apps (e.g. mail is always on workspace 7, web browser stuff always on
workspace 5 , etc). I have the numeric keypad remapped to navigate
between workspaces and to move windows to different workspaces. I never
got used to the numeric keypad for number entry anyway, I guess because
it is upside down compared to telephone keypads.

Workspaces and "Window Selector" make handling 20+ application windows a
piece of cake.

Now, if only metacity could set different backgrounds for workspaces
(like other wm's can)...

Cheers
Steffen.